It’s 4pm on Hogmanay, which seems as good a reason as any to exclusively reveal the is this music? writers’ albums of the year.
And given that we’re barely still in 2014, as good an excuse as any for getting straight on with it! Suffice to say, it was a hard-fought battle, with some home-grown talent (and long-time itm? faves) just nicking it above what has been the ‘critic’s choice’ in many publications.
So, without further ado, we bring you the collated ‘best’ albums of 2014.
1. The Phantom Band – Strange Friend
2. St. Vincent – St. Vincent
3. Mogwai – Rave Tapes
4. The Twilight Sad – Nobody Wants To Be Here And Nobody Wants To Leave
5. We Were Promised Jetpacks – Unravelling
16. Against Me! – Transgender Dysphoria Blues
17. The Second Hand Marching Band – A Hurricane, A Thunderstorm
18. Dan Sartain – Dudesblood
19. Micah P Hinson – Micah P Hinson and The Nothing
20. = Slam – Reverse Proceed
20. = The Everlasting Yeah – Anima Rising
And that’s about that. See you in 365 days or so…
* For a shamelessly Scottish-biased chart see Jockrock’s Albums of 2014 listing!